Saturday 3 January 2015

Jamaican Patties

One of the cooking experience that I was very interested in also relates to my theme, which was the Jamaican patty. It was interesting to be able to make this food from scratch after experiencing what a true Jamaican patty tastes like, in Jamaica. It also made me appreciate the amazing flavours you can combine to make a delicious, simple food that I love. I was curious about how the dough was made yellow, which was answered as we put ground turmeric into the pastry. In class, we made a beef Jamaican patty with some spices and onion.


TAW84832.jpg
JAMAICAN PATTIES


When I went to Jamaica, one of my best friends, Jevon, recommended a place called Tastee Tastee. Its a Jamaican patty restaurant where i got one chicken and one beef patty. They were absolutely delicious and by far the best patties I've ever had.
CIbm-JELVSAsNJq_3TWgOqR2z4-IOhufCDInaMaBsE01EnNZIz8xvk4W79jZdzcewvTzbIS5vdk0Jh44Mn8xku9sJ8WNeo6j=w1576-h655
JEVON AND I IN GRADE 6

Compared to the ones we made, I was slightly disappointed as the ones we made weren’t nearly as juicy and succulent. I now have a great appreciation for the various food flavours and international cuisine. My experience in class compared to my experience in Jamaica showed me how difficult it is to recreate an amazing dish from it’s country. Although we may have used similar ingredients, the way they made them in Jamaica must have been significantly altered from our method, making them a lot better. I will attempt to make Jamaican patties again, but I won’t ever expect them to be as brilliant as the patties strait from Tastee Tastee.
10013485_10152685522804972_383766450_o.jpg
OUR VISIT TO TASTEE TASTEE (PATTIES)


I also changed my opinion on all international foods. Whenever I eat a food of another culture, I will respect that the food from the actual country will most likely have better flavours as that is where the food is originated from.

No comments:

Post a Comment